Rodney L Umberger
Fax: (206) 628-6611
Two Union Square
601 Union Street, Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98101
Rod Umberger is a member in the Seattle office, where he chairs the Business Litigation Practice Group and has served on the Board of Directors. He is first and foremost a trial lawyer with experience handling product liability, transportation, premises liability, toxic tort, class actions, construction and a variety of commercial litigation matters. He also has experience representing insurers as coverage and monitoring counsel on large loss claims. Mr. Umberger has been named to Super Lawyers by Super Lawyers magazine for several years and recently was one of only sixteen attorneys in the state of Washington recognized as a top civil litigation defense attorney by the Corporate Counsel Edition of Super Lawyers magazine. He has been “AV Preeminent” peer-review rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 1998.
Mr. Umberger’s product liability experience includes defending pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers of medical devices, firearms, construction products, heavy agricultural machinery, industrial equipment and consumer products. He has served as both National Coordinating Counsel and MDL Counsel in national product liability litigation, and has developed significant knowledge and experience in addressing issues that arise in multidistrict litigation. He also serves on two national trial counsel teams in asbestos litigation.
Mr. Umberger’s experience in the transportation industry is extensive and he leads the Transportation Practice Team at the firm. For 25 years, he has represented local and national trucking companies and fleets for Fortune 500 companies in catastrophic highway accident litigation, regulatory matters, cargo claims and broker/shipper/carrier liability disputes in both state and federal courts. Mr. Umberger has experience serving as National Coordinating Counsel, Regional Litigation Counsel, and MDL counsel for several companies and has served as outside general counsel for a national transportation company.
In the commercial litigation and construction arena, Mr. Umberger’s experience is diverse and includes the following: representation of corporations in breach of contract and fraud cases; defense of class action litigation; copyright, trademark and tradename infringement litigation; representation of technology companies in litigation involving software licensing and development agreements; representation of individuals and corporations in FTC litigation; representation of owners, general contractors and subcontractors in complex construction litigation and the defense of construction defect claims; defense of TCPA class action litigation and CAN-SPAM Act litigation; representation of employers and high-level employees in lawsuits involving noncompetition agreements and trade secrets; and litigation involving Directors’ and Officers’ liability and fiduciary duty claims.
Mr. Umberger also has defended physicians, hospitals, clinics, dentists, counselors, nursing homes and medical laboratories in medical negligence lawsuits and disciplinary proceedings.
Mr. Umberger is licensed to practice law in both Washington State and Tennessee, and he is a frequent lecturer in the area of trial practice and advocacy. He is a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Defense Research Institute (Trial Tactics and Techniques, Trucking Law and Product Liability Committees), American Bar Association (Litigation Section and Product Liability Committee), Transportation Lawyers Association, USLAW Network (Board of Directors) and Washington Defense Trial Lawyers. He has also served on the Judiciary and Courts Committee for the Washington State Bar Association, and serves on the panel of arbitrators for the King County Mandatory Arbitration program. He authored a chapter in the Washington Civil Procedure Deskbook entitled “Third Party Practice.”
- University of Tennessee College of Law Alumni Advisory Council
- Kindering Center (Board of Directors, 2001-Present)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Foundation (Executive Industry Board, 2003-2005)
- Harborview Medical Center Charity Golf Tournament (Co-Chair, 2000)
- Little League baseball coach and A.A.U. youth basketball coach (2000-2006)
- Black Sox Baseball Club (U18 Coach and Director of Baseball Operations, 2004-present)
- The Overlake School (Major Gifts Committee)
- “5 Threats Keeping GCs of Midsize Companies up at Night,” Law360, February 14, 2014.
Seminars & Lectures:
The following is a partial listing of Mr. Umberger’s lectures, seminars, and presentations:
- Should We Be Taking More Cases to Trial?, Fall 2015 USLAW Network Client Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, September 2015
- Practical Considerations For Preparing Corporate Witnesses For CR 30(b)(6) Depositions (Defending Against The Reptile Approach), Fall 2015 USLAW Network Client Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, September 2015
- Instructor, 2015 TIPS/ABOTA National Trial Academy, American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section and The American Board of Trial Advocates, Revo, Nevada, March 28-April 1, 2015.
- 21st Century Trial Presentation Techniques, USLAW Network Corporate Counsel and Product Liability Exchange Conference, Dallas, Texas, February 2014.
- Defense Perspective on Corporate Designee Depositions under FRCP 30(b)(6), USLAW Network Fall Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, October 4, 2013.
- Cutting-Edge Settlement and Defense Strategies for Complex Litigation, USLAW Network Spring Client Conference, Laguna Beach, California, April 10-14, 2012.
- Now What? Class actions after Wal-Mart, AT&T and Bayer, Fall 2011 USLAW Network Client Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September 22-24, 2011.
- Selecting Favorable Juries, ATA Litigation Center’s Forum for Motor Carrier General Counsel, La Jolla, California, July 24-27, 2011.
- Recent Developments in Class Action Litigation, Fall 2010 USLAW Network Client Conference, Colorado Springs, Colorado, October 9, 2010.
- New and Enduring Issues in Asbestos Litigation, HB Litigation Conference – Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation, Marina del Rey, California, March 4-5, 2010.
- Pressure Points: Today’s Challenges in Building & Maintaining Top-Notch In-House/Outside Counsel Teams, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Counsel to Counsel Series, Seattle, Washington, October 29, 2009.
- Closing Arguments, Litigation Counsel of America, Spring Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 2009.
- Trucking Litigation and DOT Regulations in Washington State, Lorman Education Services, Seattle, Washington, June 2008 and March 2007.
- DRI Preeminent Trial Lawyer Seminar (Defense Opening Statement), Defense Research Institute, Chicago, Illinois, September 2007.
- Pleadings Allowed, General Rules of Pleading, Pleading Special Matters, Form of Pleadings, and Third Party Practice, Amendment and Stipulation, The Essentials of Washington Civil Procedure and Ethics, Seattle, Washington, March 2004.
- Non-Traditional Approaches to Litigation Management and Trial Teams, USLAW NETWORK Annual Meeting, Napa Valley, California, March 2004.
- Handling Medical Negligence Cases in Washington, National Business Institute Seminar, Faculty Member, Seattle, Washington, November 2002.
- Courtroom Evidence Tips and Traps, Washington State Bar Association, Seattle, Washington, May 2002.
- Litigation Practice Tips, Washington State Bar Association Annual Meeting, Spokane, Washington, September 2000.
- Advanced Issues in Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in Washington, National Business Institute, Seattle, Washington, July 2000.
- Who Owns What Is In Your Head?, Trade Secrets and the Law in Washington, Labor and Employment Law Annual Update Seminar, Seattle, Washington, October 1999.
- Trying the Wrongful Death Case in Washington: Strategies in Preparation and Valuation, National Business Institute, Seattle, Washington, January 1999.
- Legal Issues Involved in Negotiating Associate Physician Employment Contracts, Lippincott-Raven Healthcare, Seattle, Washington, November 1998.
- Winning Ways with Direct and Cross-Examination: Guiding Principles for the Civil Litigator in Washington, National Business Institute, Seattle, Washington, January 1998.
- Employment Contracts: Sword and Shield-Nuts and Bolts, Labor and Employment Law Annual Update, Seattle, Washington, September 1997.
- Powerful Expert Witness Strategies in Washington, National Business Institute, Seattle, Washington, July 1997.
- Civil Litigation Practice-Handling Medical Issues, CISI, Seattle, Washington, April 1997.
- Effective Cross-Examination Techniques, Washington State Bar Association Skills Training Course, Bothell, Washington, May 1996.
Areas of Practice
- Class Action
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Litigation Management
- Construction Defect
- Construction Litigation & Surety
- General Litigation
- Intellectual Property & Technology
- Liquor Liability
- Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability & Mass Torts
- Regulated Industries
- U.S. District Court (Western Washington, Eastern Washington)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (9th Circuit)
- University of Tennessee College of Law (JD)
- Furman University (BA)