Williams Kastner is distinguished by its long history representing professionals in proceedings involving claims of breach of professional duty.
We have represented professionals such as engineers, architects, stockbrokers, members of the clergy, corporate officers and directors, land surveyors, attorneys, accountants, insurance agents and brokers, real estate agents and brokers, as well as medical practitioners including physicians, psychologists, dentists, hospitals and other health care providers.
Our firm litigates in all areas of law related to professional claims, including the defense of allegations of negligence, breach of professional rules or ethics, professional membership rights, security law violations, RICO violations, fraud, misrepresentation, Consumer Protection Act violations, breach of contract, antitrust, defamation and other claims. We also defend professionals accused of crimes or misdemeanors.
A number of attorneys in the firm devote a majority of their time to defending professional liability cases. Many of our lawyers have developed special knowledge and skills in the defense of particular claims, e.g., in areas including professional disciplinary board actions and insurance coverage disputes. The firm has lawyers admitted to practice in many states including Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. We have tried more professional negligence cases to verdict than any other firm in the Northwest and average approximately 30 jury trials per year. We have lawyers who are members of the American College of Trial Lawyers, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), and the Litigation Counsel of America.
The lawyers who founded this firm established a reputation for excellence in representing professionals. We take pride in continuing this tradition of legal service to our professional clients.
- Williams Kastner currently represents several attorneys in lawsuits alleging legal malpractice.
- Williams Kastner currently represents several attorneys who are facing bar complaints and disciplinary actions.
- The firm recently successfully defended an architect (obtained a dismissal of the claim) in a professional negligence action involving the design and construction of a $25 million waterfront home near Seattle.
- In the last five years, Williams Kastner has represented numerous engineers and other design professionals in lawsuits alleging professional negligence in the construction arena.
- Williams Kastner represented the trustee in possibly the largest bankruptcy ever filed in Washington State with over a half a billion dollars in claims.
- Williams Kastner defended a securities brokerage company against class action claims of vicarious liability for alleged fraud and misrepresentation committed by its representatives. The case involved the second largest Ponzi scheme to that date in the state of Washington with alleged losses of $26 million. Williams Kastner arranged a satisfactory settlement through mediation.
- Williams Kastner attorneys represented the Round Valley Indian Tribe in connection with breach of fiduciary duty and trust and trust accounting claims.
- Williams Kastner represented a Seattle contractor and a 50 percent shareholder of a closely-held construction company in suit for corporate dissolution and breach of fiduciary duty. The case was settled favorably for client, and dissolution avoided.
- Williams Kastner defended individual stock brokers and brokerage firms against claims of breach of fiduciary duty and securities fraud alleged by customers whose investment account suffered losses.
- Williams Kastner represented the Metropolitan Public Defender Services and the Juvenile Rights Project in lawsuits alleging professional negligence.