Williams Kastner recognizes the substantial and complicated role that local, state, tribal and federal governments exercise in our clients’ business activities. Our lawyers understand the nuances and complexity of the local, state, tribal, and federal governmental process. With the seasoned and tested knowledge of the governmental and legislative process, our team of lawyers can facilitate a more efficient and focused interaction between clients and the governments that regulate them.
Our Law, Legislative and Government Affairs Group has decades of experience navigating the shoals of regulatory forums. We have helped clients prepare to testify before congressional committees, federal agency adjudications, and responses to rulemakings. We represent clients in a wide variety of issues, including: taxation, utilities, telecommunications, transportation, solid waste, licensing, insurance, health care, public housing, Indian law and gaming, energy, land use, environment, economic development, and federal appropriations. At Williams Kastner, we understand that one size does not necessarily fit every situation or client. We are committed to ensure that government regulators and lawmakers recognize our clients’ unique positions when considering official action.
The primary focus of Williams Kastner’s Law, Legislative and Government Affairs Group is to serve our clients by providing strategic, focused, and timely advice that will foster accommodation between the clients’ priorities and regulatory and political realities. The following areas are where the Williams Kastner Law, Legislative and Government Affairs Group can focus a client’s activities and priorities.
- Advocating in administrative law proceedings before various state agencies, including the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission, Department of Revenue, Department of Licensing, Department of Labor & Industries, Department of Financial Institutions, Health Care Authority and Gambling Commission
- Taxation advocacy in court, the Washington State Department of Revenue, the Board of Tax Appeals, city and county authorities, assessors and boards of equalization. Matters include business and occupation, sales and use, real and personal property, leasehold, excise and other state and local taxes.
- Land use representation before state growth management boards, hearing examiners, and county and city councils
- Environmental compliance and local, state and federal permitting assistance with an emphasis on water quality, pollution control, shoreline management, wetlands mitigation, and fish and wildlife protection
- Appearing before federal agencies including the U.S. Department of Transportation and Environmental Protection Agency (Region 10), and National Indian Gaming Commission
- Business and real estate counsel regarding a range of corporate, tax, land use, corporate finance, antitrust, environmental and international issues affected by or subject to government regulation
- Our team of lawyers monitors and assesses the legislative process, appreciating that knowledge of the status, format, and agenda of legislation is key in determining the effect that legislation will have upon a client’s interest.
- We review and analyze proposed legislation at the local, state, tribal and federal levels, helping clients seek changes, whether through supporting or opposing legislation. Recognizing the impact that changes in legislation can have on our clients’ interests, our lawyers perform timely review and analysis of proposed legislation. We have experience doing so at the federal level from inception and through the legislative process until it comes to a vote before the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives.
- We have experience in reviewing and analyzing legislation at the local, state and tribal level from the time a policy is conceived and considered through deliberation and ultimate vote.
- Knowledge of the legislative process, from the time a government official considers legislation until final disposition, is important to our attorneys because it drives the recommendations we provide to our clients on the most appropriate and most beneficial time for our clients to express their position on legislation. The approach and manner in which our clients address pending legislation is critical.
- Our lawyers have fostered cooperative professional relationships with members of Congress, congressional staff, Federal agency executives and staff, enabling our lawyers to effectively promote a client’s position.
- Our lawyers initiate, maintain, and manage strategic relationships with local, state, and tribal officials to ensure that our clients’ prerogatives and positions are clearly communicated.
- Our lawyers ensure that clients are prepared to discuss legislative issues and that they meet the officials best able to consider their position on these issues.
In addition to Williams Kastner’s public policy work within the United States, our strategic alliance with the law firm Duan & Duan, with offices in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong, provides distinct access and assistance navigating the regulatory process within the People’s Republic of China.