With over 20 years of combined private sector, public sector, and in-house experience, Sumeer is a seasoned trial lawyer, general counsel, and policy analyst. Having conducted over thirty-five jury trials, Sumeer has a reputation as a shrewd and seasoned trial lawyer, litigator, negotiator. Sumeer has handled several complex civil litigation matters dealing with numerous parties. By bringing complex and varied experience to his work that of large-firm attorney, a felony prosecutor, a director in a Fortune 20 company, legal counsel to government agencies and officials, and as a political and policy analyst Sumeer’s perspective is both nuanced and multi-faceted. He brings a unique ability to see every angle of a matter to all of the issues his clients face.
Sumeer is available to provide investigation services for public and private entities, relying upon his broad experience as plaintiff’s counsel, defense counsel, and criminal prosecutor. He has handled workplace harassment cases, bullying cases, Title IX discrimination cases, and workplace safety issues, among others.
Sumeer is an accomplished municipal and government counsel, serving state legislators and city agencies. He assists his clients in navigating through complex municipal, state, and federal regulations, such as liquor and marijuana license regulations, building and planning regulations, and general land use regulations. He can develop legislation and a political/legislative strategy to help his clients successfully achieve their policy goals.
Additionally, Sumeer serves as Judge Pro Tem in numerous jurisdictions in King and Snohomish Counties. He adjudicates both civil and criminal cases. He brings his experience and perspective from the bench to help his clients understand a judge or jury’s perception of their case. He has served on the Washington State Executive Ethics Board, a gubernatorial appointment, regulating ethical conduct of Washington State employees. Sumeer was recently appointed by the Washington State Supreme Court to the Washington State Minority and Justice Commission.
Outside of his legal career, Sumeer enjoys spending time with his two daughters and wife. Having studied acting through college, and worked as an actor before starting his legal career, Sumeer enjoys local performing arts. He grew up in Eastern Washington growing apples and cherries. He enjoys running and tennis, and is always working on his golf game.
- Washington State Minority and Justice Commission
- Washington State Executive Ethics Board, gubernatorial appointment, former member
- WSBA Committee on Professional Ethics, former member
- Building Changes, Advisory Board Member, former member
- South Asian Bar Association
- Boyer Clinic, Advisory Board Member, former member
- William L. Dwyer Inn of Court
Recognitions & Awards
- Washington Leadership Institute, 2009 Fellow
- Judicial Diversity Program, Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Fellow
University of Washington
School of Law, J.D., 2002
Washington State University
As plaintiff’s counsel, Sumeer has resolved cases, either through trial or mediation, that total over $20 million.
- Hockett v. Seattle Police Department – Obtained a favorable verdict, after a five-week trial, on behalf of client for $1.325 million, plus attorneys’’ fees, on claims of negligence, failure to accommodate, and hostile work environment. https://www.thestranger.com/news/2022/11/03/78699753/spds-million-dollar-parking-space. https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/city-seattle-ordered-pay-fees-spd-carbon-monoxide-case/W4PLT6PGS5HPRAXJ3LIDXQ6MDQ/
- Ludwig v. City of Mountlake Terrace – Obtained a favorable defense verdict, after a one-week, trial on a negligence claim.
- Apple King v. Washington State University – After over two years of litigation, obtained a favorable mediation result for clients in a high value case against a public institution regarding a breach of a intellectual property licensing agreement.
- Kopf v. Proliance – After a two-week trial, obtained a favorable settlement of $1.6 million in a medical negligence and wrongful death case.
- M. v. MultiCare Health Systems, Inc. – Obtained a mid-six-figure settlement in a case involving sexual assault of a minor.
- Obtained a mid-six figure confidential settlement with a private entity involving a sexual assault of a minor.
- Lowery v. MultiCare Health Systems, Inc. – obtained a high-six-figure settlement involving a medical negligence claim.
- B. v. Growing Smart Kidz – Negotiated a seven-figure settlement on the eve of trial on behalf of 24 children and 13 parents where Defendants were accused of abuse and neglect at a daycare. https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/day-care-abuse-case-settled-for-14m/874352211
- Durnen v. Seventh Day Adventist Church – Negotiated a mid-six-figure settlement on behalf of his 80-year old client who was injured at a food bank on church property.
- Porcello v. Porcello – was requested to take over a bench trial regarding a foreclosure dispute in the middle of trial; conducted the trial to conclusion.
- Skagway Jewelry Co. v. Holland America Lines, Carlton Smith Company – lead counsel in this matter in U.S. District Court of Alaska regarding a breach of contract and discrimination case.
- Successfully defended a Seattle City Council member in a recall petition action.
- Represented Seattle City agencies in public records litigation.
- Primary trial instructor for large prosecuting agency, teaching advanced trial techniques.
Municipal Law and Government Policy:
- Assisted a non-profit organization secure state funding to provide therapeutic services for children with developmental disabilities.
- Assisted a non-profit organization negotiate and secure a lease agreement and maneuver through the zoning process to locate a therapeutic center in city owned park facility.
- Assisted cannabis companies in drafting and securing additional legislation and rules affecting the cannabis industry.
- As Policy Director in the Washington State Senate, advised senators on policy matters, including legislative drafting, political and legislative strategy, and negotiated compromises on major policy and legislative issues.
- Advised police officers, as counsel to the Seattle Police Department, on a range of issues including constitutional policy and procedures, municipal and land use regulations, and other municipal enforcement matters.
- Reviewed and investigated numerous Liquor and Marijuana license applications on behalf of the City of Seattle to ensure all regulatory conditions were met.
- Advised commission members, as counsel to the Seattle Ethics and Elections Committee, Civil Service Commission, and Public Safety Civil Service Commission, on procedural and policy matters.
- Drafted legislation, developed legislative and political strategy, and provided long term policy advice for a major Fortune 20 company.
- Advised federal, state, and local candidates on policy and election matters to help them win elections.
- Provided businesses and non-profit organizations with strategic business development and policy advice to achieve long term sustainability.