Ridgway K. Foley, Jr.
Ridgway K. Foley, Jr. has concentrated his practice for many years on appellate litigation. He has represented all manner of clients on all manner of state and federal appeals — civil, administrative, and criminal — since 1964. Most of his more than 500 appellate cases have been argued in the Oregon Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Oregon Court of Appeals.
In addition, Mr. Foley has long carried on a business and estate planning practice, primarily representing individuals, families and small businesses. He also provides litigation consultation, legal analysis, and preservation-of-record services to trial lawyers.
Mr. Foley has been a speaker, writer and editor on numerous CLE and other seminars and publications concerning appellate litigation and practice, trial practice, insurance law, pleading, motion practice and legal writing.
- Multnomah Bar Association, Board Member 1993-1997
- Oregon State Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Judicature Society, 1969-1998
- Officer: Multnomah Bar Association, 1995-96
- Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge Honor Certificate, 1977
- Leonard E. Read Memorial Lecturer, New York, 1984
- Foundation for Economic Education Lecturer, Tarrytown, New York, 1987
- Marquis’ Who’s Who in America, all editions commencing 1993-94, also Marquis’ Who’s Who in American Law & Marquis’ Who’s Who in the West
- Martindale-Hubbell rating: AV
- Life Member of the National Registry of Who’s Who in American Law
Articles & Publications
Mr. Foley has published more than 100 scholarly articles and essays since 1962 in such journals as the Oregon Law Review, Willamette Law Journal (now Willamette Law Review), Insurance Counsel Journal, Private Practice, The Freeman, Reason, Multnomah Lawyer, For the Defense, Freedom Daily, Forum, The Future of Freedom Foundation, and Insuranceweek.
Author: “Chapter 1: Subject Matter Jurisdiction,” Appeal and Review, Oregon State Bar, 1977; Essays in anthologies and Festchrift: “Ideas on Liberty,” 1987, “A Man of Principle,” 1991; “Private Property and Political Control,” 1992; “Taxation and Confiscation,” 1993; “Faith of Our Fathers,” 1997
Co-author: “Chapter 2: Jurisdiction of Appellate Courts,” Appeal and Review, Oregon State Bar, 1993