Paul K. Friedrich
Paul K. Friedrich is a Member in the Seattle office of Williams Kastner, is a Co-Chair of the firm’s Construction Litigation & Surety Practices Team, and is licensed to practice in both Washington and Oregon. His practice is focused on representing sureties and insurers in all aspects of contract, commercial, and fidelity bond claims, with a particular emphasis on construction law, including the representation of general contractors and subcontractors on a wide range of issues involving public and private projects. Mr. Friedrich has extensive experience defending against surety-related bad faith claims and is a frequent speaker and author on surety and construction-related legal issues.
- Williams Kastner, Member | 2018 – Present
- Williams Kastner, Associate | 2016 – 2018
- Yusen & Friedrich, Associate | 2010 – 2016
- Law Clerk and Rule 9 Intern, WA State Attorney General’s Office | 2008 – 2009
- Washington State Bar Association
- Construction Law Section
- King County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Fidelity & Surety Law Committee
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Construction Law Section
Seattle University School of Law
J.D., cum laude, 2010
University of Washington
B.A., Law, Societies, and Justice, with honors, 2007
Presentations & Seminars
- Speaker, “Extra-Contractual Liability of Performance Bond Sureties,” ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Mid-Winter Conference, January 2019.
- Speaker, “Extra-Contractual Claims and How to Avoid Them,” Pearlman Surety Conference, September 2018.
- Speaker, “Affirmative Claims Handling Obligations,” CapSpecialty Claims Summit, November 2017.
- Speaker, “Implied Warranty of the Plans and Specifications: Avoidance of or Challenges to Liability,” Pearlman Surety
Conference, September 2017.
Articles & Publications
- Co-Author, “ABA Law of Performance Bonds,” Chapter 9: Extra-Contractual Liability of Performance Bond Sureties, 3rd Edition, 2018.
- Co-Author, “Extra-Contractual Claims and How to Avoid Them,” Pearlman Surety Conference, September 2018.
- Author, “Enforcing The Surety’s Rights To The Defaulting Principal’s Contract Funds On Federal Projects: A Step-By-Step Guide to Navigating the FAR,” Surety Claims Institute Newsletter, May, 2018.
Author, “Washington Court of Appeals Dismisses Oregon Contractor’s Lawsuit for Failure to Substantially Comply with Contractor Registration Requirements,” Williams Kastner Surety Law Update, Spring 2018.
Co-Author, “Washington/Oregon Doctrine Of Equitable Subrogation: Are Indemnity Agreements Necessary?” Williams Kastner Surety Law Update, Spring 2018.
- Co-Author, “Implied Warranty of the Plans and Specifications: Avoidance of or Challenges to Liability,” Pearlman Surety Conference, September 2017.
- Author, “Washington State Legislative Alert: 2017 Regular Session,” Williams Kastner Surety Law Update, Spring 2017.
Author, “Washington’s New Uniform Power of Attorney Act: Surety Underwriters Beware,” Williams Kastner Surety Law Update, Winter 2017.
Author, “Williams Kastner assists surety in defeating indemnitor’s bad faith and CPA counterclaims,” Williams Kastner Surety Law Update, August 2016.
Co-Author, Washington Chapter of ABA Surety Underwriters Deskbook, 2016.