Miles JM. Stewart
Miles is an associate attorney at Williams Kastner, in the firm’s business litigation group. His practice focuses on insurance coverage, including coverage analysis and advice as well as defending insurers in litigated cases. Miles’s experience ranges from advising primary carriers in first-party property cases to representing high excess carriers in third-party liability matters involving multiple layers and millions of dollars in coverage. He also has significant experience defending insurers in alleged extra-contractual “bad faith” suits. Miles is licensed to practice in Washington and New York.
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Defense Trial Lawyers Association
- King County Bar Association Pro Bono Program
- University Of Leicester (UK) Ll.B (Hons), 2000
- University Of Law, Guildford (UK), Legal Practice Course (Pgdl), 2002
- Obtained summary dismissal of insurance client in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, based upon the application of the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (Lee et al. v. Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, 2017 WL 3641915).
- Successfully set aside $265,000 “bad faith” default judgment against insurer, based on adjuster’s excusable neglect.
- Represented high excess insurer as coverage counsel in connection with multiple complex claims arising from the SR-99 Viaduct Replacement Project in Seattle, Washington, including claims related to the “Bertha” tunnel boring machine.
- Defeated appeal against trial court ruling granting motion for summary judgment in contested probate proceeding in the New York Appellate Division, Second Department (In re Engelhardt, 88 A.D.3d 997, 931 N.Y.S.2d 386 (2011)).
- Achieved favorable and nuisance-value settlements in numerous first- and third-party litigated and non-litigated matters.
- Representation of insurers in bad faith / extra-contractual suits, at State and Federal level.