Dean G. von Kallenbach
Dean von Kallenbach is Of Counsel in the Seattle office of Williams Kastner and is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, contracts, real estate and construction. Mr. von Kallenbach represents clients before state and federal courts and in arbitrations and mediations. He has been involved in some of the region’s largest construction and real estate projects, representing both contractors and owners. Mr. von Kallenbach also has considerable experience in drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts, including international experience representing companies in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Williams Kastner, Of Counsel | 2015 – Present
- Young deNormandie, Shareholder | 2000 – 2015
- Insignia International, Inc., Vice President and General Counsel | 1997 – 2000
- Camp von Kallenbach & O’Sullivan, PC | 1993 – 1997
- Stanislaw Ashbaugh, LLP | 1990 – 1993
- Oles Morrison, Rinker & Baker, LLP | 1988 – 1990
- The Boeing Company, International Contracts Manager | 1987 – 1988
- Arabian American Oil Company, International Contracts Manager | 1982 – 1987
- Gust Rosenfeld, PLC | 1978 – 1982
- Quiet title action: Represented LLC in an action to quiet title against a bank’s deed of trust and for damages. After a two-week trial, obtained a $3.5M award for client.
- Boat construction defect claim: Represented vessel owner in a construction delay and defect claim against a shipyard. After a two-week trial, obtained a $1M award for client.
- Breach of contract, fiduciary duty and fraud: Represented an LLC member in a claim for fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty against the LLC’s managing member. After obtaining summary judgment on liability, settled case for $8.5M.
- Property damage claim: Represented a warehouse owner in a claim against Sound Transit for real property damaged by vibratory pile driving during construction on the light rail project. After a one-week trial, obtained a $250K award for client. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- MTCA: In a four week trial, defended a manufacturing company against a landlord’s multi-million dollar claim for breach of lease and violation of the Model Toxic Control Act.
- Breach of fiduciary duty: Represented an LLC member in claim for misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty against the LLC’s managing member. After a two-week arbitration, obtained a $3M award for client. Successfully defended against discharge of award in bankruptcy.
- Legal malpractice: Represented LLC in claim for legal malpractice against outside counsel. After obtaining summary judgment on liability, settled the claim for the attorney’s $1M policy limits.
- Personal property takings claim: Represented deer farmers who lost their business due to the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife’s regulatory action. After a two-week jury trial, obtained a $450K award against the state of Washington.
- RICO: In bankruptcy adversary action, represented LLC on claims for fraud and violation of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act against multiple defendants. Obtained $5.5M award on summary judgment.
- COGSA: Represented airplane collector in claim against international shipping company for loss of MiG-29UB aircraft. Successfully litigated claim that shipping company’s actions constituted “intentional destruction” and were therefore a quasi-deviation sufficient to avoid the liability limits of the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act.
- Surety claim for indemnity: After business failed, defended shipping company’s owner against surety’s $900K claim for indemnification. Obtained dismissal of claim on summary judgment.
- Antitrust: Represented San Francisco crab fishermen on antitrust and RICO claims against crab fishing association organizers. Obtained significant settlement for clients after defeating multiple summary judgment motions.
- Easements: Defended homeowner against an easement claim made by neighbor and pursued the homeowner’s claim against prior owner for failure to defend under statutory warranty deed. After one-week trial, obtained judgment for client on both claims. Successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- Maritime breach of contract claim: Defended fishing vessel owner against $550K breach of contract claim on a salmon tendering contract. Obtained dismissal of claim on summary judgment.
- Collections: Represented bank in claim against delinquent borrower. Obtained $800K award on summary judgment and successfully collected judgment.
- Breach of contract: Defended seafood processing company against a claim that the retirement of a processing vessel represented a “change of control” of the company and triggered a $4M payment under a sales contract. After defeating summary judgment motion, successfully negotiated a settlement on terms favorable to client.