Charles R. Markley
Charles R. Markley concentrates his practice on business, commercial and real estate documentation and litigation. His experience includes representation of creditors in major bankruptcies, counsel to both state charters and national banks, savings and loan associations, equipment lessors and retail merchandisers.
Mr. Markley has assisted as local borrowers’ counsel in documenting loan transactions up to $220 million, and as buyers’ counsel in the sale of interstate businesses. His trial and appellate practice has been in the real estate, partnership and corporate fields, litigating claims in excess of $10 million.
Since 2006, when its roster of the top lawyers in Oregon debuted, Super Lawyers has recognized Mr. Markley repeatedly for his excellence in the real estate arena.
Mr. Markley is a frequent speaker at real estate and commercial law seminars, and was an adjunct professor at Lewis and Clark Law School, teaching Advanced Bankruptcy. He has authored and co-authored continuing legal education materials on remedies of a purchaser for breach of a land sale contract, as well as seminars on receiverships.
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- ABA Committee on Commercial Transactions and Litigation
Recognitions & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law, 2019, 2020
- Listed in Oregon Super Lawyers, 2006-2008, 2010-2016, and 2019
Lewis and Clark
J.D., cum laude, 1975
University of Washington
Articles & Publications
- Author, “Remedies of Purchase for Breach of Land Sale Contract,” Oregon State Bar, Real Estate Section CLE, 1997.
- Author, “Conflicts in the Courts: NLRB Decisions as Res Judicata in Section 303 Suits,” 27 Administrative Law Review 83, 1975.
- Author, ”Constitutional Limits on Enforcement of Air Pollution Laws,” 5 Environmental Law 147, 1974.
- Editor, Environmental Law, 1974-1975.
- Editor, Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, 1981-83.