Intellectual Property & Technology
Williams Kastner offers a broad range of services in the areas of intellectual property and technology law. Our lawyers in this practice area are well versed in the creation and protection of trademarks, trade secrets and other intellectual property. They frequently assist clients in obtaining and maintaining trademark registrations, and they regularly draft and negotiate licenses of intellectual property rights.
Our attorneys also advise clients on the development of intellectual property by employees and consultants and can assist in preparing agreements and procedures regarding the ownership of such rights. Our attorneys are as confident in the international arena as they are in local business matters. They provide knowledgeable advice when transactions, licensing and distribution agreements are international in character, or when import and export controls affect their clients. Their experience extends to a wide spectrum of technologies, including computer hardware and software, communications, biotechnology and medical equipment.
The firm also offers general corporate representation to technology-based businesses, including assistance in formation, capitalization financing, employment issues and corporate transactions. Our experience with technology-oriented clients assures that these matters will be handled with sensitivity to the special issues raised by the technologies involved, and the marketplace for their goods and services.
Additionally, the attorneys in our technology practice are called upon to assist clients whose businesses are not technology-related, but who are acquiring computer systems or other technology-based products or services.
Areas in which we have provided assistance include the following:
- Trademark protection, registration and licensing
- Employee confidentiality and non competition agreements
- Nondisclosure agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Sales representative agreements
- Import/export control regulations
- International licensing and distribution
- Software development agreements
- Vaule-Added Resellers (VAR) agreements
- Original Equipment Manufacturing (OEM) agreements
- Distribution agreements
- Software escrow agreements
- Software publishing agreements
- End-user software licenses
- Software and hardware maintenance agreements
- Technology transfer agreements
- Biotechnology license agreements
- Marketing agreements
- Venture capital financing
- Stock and asset sales