James L Robenalt
Fax: (206) 628-6611
Two Union Square
601 Union Street, Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98101
Jim Robenalt is a member in the Seattle office. His practice emphasizes business litigation, environmental, insurance coverage and immigration law. Mr. Robenalt has represented clients in federal and state courts throughout the State of Washington. Mr. Robenalt was recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 as well as one of the American Academy of Trial Attorneys’ 2015 Premier 100.
In 2016, Mr. Robenalt was co-lead counsel in a state-court trial and successfully prosecuted a breach of contract case against two defendant oil companies.
Acted as lead counsel for a fruit processing plant in a state-court matter involving the unique question of whether fruit pomace composted over time constitutes a “dangerous waste.” Successfully secured summary judgement.
Represented client in litigation regarding residential heating oil spills, including the investigation and remediation of soil and groundwater. Secured successful resolution for client.
Secured summary judgment for client in federal court case involving the “alienated premises” exclusion.
Principal author on motion for summary judgment in tribal trust fund case against the U.S. government that resulted in favorable settlement for Tribal client.
Co-author of dispositive motions in coverage litigation resulting in a favorable Washington Supreme Court decision addressing the “resulting loss” provision.
Drafted successful dispositive motion in insurance coverage action concerning the duty to defend, assignment of rights and “selective tender.”
Secured dismissal of parallel lawsuit against client in Pennsylvania federal district court.
Secured political asylum for an Eritrean client as lead pro bono counsel before the U.S. Immigration Court.
Washington State Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
King County Bar Association
Completed the TIPS/ABOTA National Trial Academy.
- Author, “Supreme Court Rules the EPA Must Consider Costs When Regulating Pollution,” DRI Publication, July 2015.
- Co-Author, “State of Washington Construction Law Compendium,” USLAW Network, 2009, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Civil Rule 16, Pretrial Procedure and Formulating Issues,” Washington State Bar Civil Procedure Deskbook, 2014.
- Author, “Civil Rule 44, Proof of Official Record,” Washington State Bar Civil Procedure Deskbook, 2014.
- Co-Author, Oregon Chapter, “Construction Litigation Deskbook Reference: A 50-State Survey,” Defense Research Institute, To Be Published.
- Co-Author, “Navigating a New Course: Why the Deepwater Horizon Ecologic Disaster Should Spur Clean Energy Progress,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2012.
- Co-Author, “Why Dangerous Greenhouse Gases May Be Incapable Of Regulation,” Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, April 2012.
- Co-Author, “The Medicare Secondary Payer Statute: Compliance and The Mandatory Reporting Requirements,” ABA TIPS Business Litigation Committee Newsletter, Winter 2011.
- Co-Author, Idaho Chapter, “Federal Jurisdiction Based on Removal: A 50-State Survey,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation, 2008.
- Author, “Predatory Pricing in the Low-Fare Airline Market: Targeted, Discriminatory, and Achieved with Impunity,” 68 Ohio St. L.J. 641 (2007).