Arissa M. Peterson
Two Union Square
601 Union Street, Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98101
Arissa Peterson is a senior associate in the Seattle office. She works on a variety of litigation matters representing clients in state and federal trial courts in Washington. Arissa’s practice is presently focused on the defense of product liability and medical negligence claims, and Ms. Peterson has successfully defended national corporations, local businesses, government entities, school districts and individuals in numerous complex cases. She has served on the National Coordinating Counsel teams for toxic tort litigation involving asbestos claims, and she previously served on the multidistrict litigation (MDL) No. 1407 defense liaison counsel team from which over 5,000 plaintiffs claimed personal injuries as a result of taking prescription and over-the-counter cough and cold medications and appetite suppressants containing phenylpropanolamine (PPA). Arissa serves as local counsel for numerous MDL, mass tort and other complex matters involving asbestos, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and other products. She has been named to Rising Stars for 2010 - 2013 by Super Lawyers magazine.
Memberships and Affiliations:
Ms. Peterson is a member of the Washington State Bar Association, King County Bar Association, Washington Women Lawyers, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, Defense Research Institute, and MAMAS (Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Seattle).
- "Medical Records Law in Washington," Lorman Education Services, Tacoma, WA, February 16, 2012.
- "Medical Records Law in Washington," Sterling Education Services, Tacoma, WA, June 11, 2010.
- "Hearsay," Rules of Evidence in Washington, Lorman Education Services, Seattle, WA, April 14, 2009.
- "Patient Termination: Why, When, and How to End the Patient-Physician Relationship," 2009 Legal Update, Providence St. Peter Hospital, Olympia, WA, February 11, 2009.
- "Paperless Law Office," Practicing Law in the Electronic Era, Washington State Bar Association, Seattle, WA, February 6, 2009.
- “Handling Electronic Records & Files,” Electronic Law Office Practice, Half Moon Seminars, October 23, 2008.
- Internet Research for Paralegals, Lorman Education, Presenter and Moderator, January 24, 2008.
- “Responding to Subpoenas, Court Orders & Law Enforcement,” Medical Records Law, Lorman Education, Seattle, WA, June 22, 2007.
Select Articles and Publications:
- Co-Author, “Ninth Circuit Report: Ninth Circuit Affirms Admission of Expert Testimony on Lost Profits – Judge is to Screen Jury from Unreliable Nonsense Opinions, Not Opinions that are Merely Impeachable,” Daubert Online, November 1, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Ninth Circuit Report: Largest Asbestos Verdict in Washington State is Vacated and Remanded for New Trial for Failure to Have a Daubert Hearing,” Daubert Online, May 23, 2013.
- Co-Author, “Ninth Circuit Report: Rulings in Patent Cases Restate Fundamental Principle—District Judge is ‘Gatekeeper’ Not Fact-Finder,” Daubert Online, October 8, 2012.
- Co-Author, “Social Media – Balancing Employer and Employee Rights in the Digital Age,” SGMA, June 4, 2012.
- Co-Author, “Ninth Circuit Overturns Gender Discrimination Class Action Against Costco; Remands for Reconsideration and Directs District Court to Review Prior Daubert Analysis On Reliability of Expert Opinions,” Daubert Online, May 21, 2012.
- Co-author, “Crisis Management — Best Practices in the Digital Age,” SGMA In brief, November 2, 2011.
- Co-Author, "Hertz Corp. v. Friend - U.S. Supreme Court Adopts 'Nerve Center' Test for Determining a Corporation's 'Principal Place of Business," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel - Northeast Edition, June 2010
- Co-Author, "Hertz Corp. v. Friend – U.S. Supreme Court Adopts 'Nerve Center' Test for Determining a Corporation’s 'Principal Place of Business,'" The Voice, DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar, March 17, 2010.
- Author, Defense Research Institute Daubert On-Line, Ninth Circuit Summary, issued quarterly.
- Co-Author, "Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) Coming Soon to Washington: Are You Ready to Handle Medical Record Request Audits?," Washington Healthcare News, January 2009
- Co-Author,"Post-Caremark Implications for Health Care Organization Boards of Directors," Seattle Journal for Social Justice, 2004.
Board and Pro Bono Involvement:
- Washington State Bar Association Committe Member (Editorial Advisory Committee, 2010-2012; Committee for Diversity, 2010-2012)
- YWCA Women's Inspire Luncheon (Table Captain, 2010-2012; Luncheon Committee Volunteer, 2010-2012)
- Community Advisory Board, Dress for Success Seattle (Chair, 2009)
- Community Advisory Board, Dress for Success Seattle (Member, 2006-2011)
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (Pro Bono attorney)
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- E-Discovery/E-Document Management
- General Litigation
- Health Care
- Long Term Health Care
- Personal Injury
- Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
- Product Liability & Mass Torts
- Senior Living & Long Term Care
- U.S. District Court (Western Washington, Eastern Washington)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Ninth Circuit)
- University of Oregon School of Law (JD) 2001
- University of Washington (BA) 1995