Thomas A Ped
Fax: (503) 222-7261
1515 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
Portland, OR 97201-5449
Tom Ped is a member in Williams Kastner’s Portland office. His practice specializes in civil litigation matters, including construction, business torts, real estate and insurance coverage matters. Tom regularly assists insurers with coverage analysis and actions for declaratory relief. Tom also represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers in contract performance and payment claims. His work in real estate includes litigating and resolving a wide range of disputes concerning the ownership and use of land. He also advises individuals and businesses in real estate transactions, including acquisitions and sales, leasing and finance. Tom has conducted numerous trials in state and federal courts as well as private mediations and arbitrations.
Tom is also committed to improving diversity in the workplace. As a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee, he is proud be involved with the Oregon State Bar’s Opportunities for Law in Oregon program. Tom has also helped coach mock trial teams at Roosevelt High School in Portland.
Articles and Publications:
- “CD Claims From The Perspectives of The Insurer and The Policyholder,” WK Northwest Insurance Law Quarterly Newsletter, Summer 2016.
- Presenter, “Legal Descriptions, Title Insurance and Surveys in Real Estate Transactions,” National Business Institute, Portland, Oregon, December 2014.
- “Construction Requirements for Medical Marijuana Facilities,” OSB Construction Law Newsletter, Issue 49, November 2014.
- “The Duty to Defend: Extrinsic Evidence Does Not Always Help,” ABA Title Insurance Litigation Committee Newsletter, Summer 2014.
- “The Duty to Defend: When Does It End?”USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2014.
- “State of Oregon Compendium of Construction Law,” USLAW Network, Inc., March 13, 2014.
- “Washington Court Refines Doctrine of Equitable Subrogation,” ABA Title Insurance Litigation Committee Newsletter, Summer 2012.
- “Update on Oregon’s Prompt Payment Act,” OSB Construction Law Newsletter, Issue 42, March 2012.
- Presenter, “Construction Defects: 5 Steps for a Healthy Defense” OSB Construction Law 101 CLE, Bend, Oregon, June 2009.
- Oregon State Bar (Executive Committee, Construction Law Section; Legislative Committee, Real Estate & Land Use Section)
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section; Title Insurance Litigation Committee)
- Oregon Land Title Association
- CCIM, Oregon/SW Washington Chapter (Affiliate Member)
- Painting and Decorating Contractors of America, Portland Chapter
Areas of Practice
- Construction Defect
- Construction Litigation & Surety
- General Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate
- Title Insurance
- U.S. District Court (Oregon)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (9th Circuit)
- Willamette University College of Law (JD), 1995
- University of California, Los Angeles (BA), cum laude, 1991