Eric J. Neiman
888 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
Portland, OR 97204-2025
Eric Neiman is the Office Lead Member for Williams Kastner’s Portland office. He is active in the firm's Health Care Practice Group and Behavioral Health Team. He specializes in civil litigation with an emphasis on health care, professional, business, and product liability issues.
Mr. Neiman has been lead counsel in more than 80 jury trials and has been on the trial team in over 100 cases tried to verdict. His trial experience includes health care issues, business disputes, professional liability, employment, product liability, and technology issues. Mr. Neiman also has extensive experience in commercial arbitrations, regulatory and licensing matters, and investigations. Most recently, his practice has focused on healthcare litigation and health law including behavioral health, medical staff, provider issues, managed care, UCR, compliance and risk management.
Mr. Neiman was lead counsel for two health systems in the 2014 case of In the Matter of Detention of DW, both in the trial court and on appeal. In a landmark decision, the Washington Supreme Court ruled that civilly committed patients have a right to meaningful psychiatric treatment as a condition of their detention.
Mr. Neiman serves as outside disciplinary counsel for the Oregon State Bar. Since 1991, he has served actively as a pro-tem circuit court judge.
- Williams Kastner, Member | 2004 - Present
- Duden Neiman LLP, Partner | 2002 - 2004
- Tooze Duden, Partner | 1986 - 2002
- Tooze Kerr, Associate | 1982 -1986
Honors & Awards:
- Named a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine | 2007 - 2014
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America in Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants | 2007 - 2015
- American Bar Association (and various sections and committees)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
Recent Articles and Publications:
- Author, “More Liability for Mental Health Professionals?” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2015.
- Co-Author, “Psychiatric Patients in the Acute Care Setting: Legal Issues,” February 2015.
- Author, chapter of “Invasion of Privacy,” Oregon State Bar Torts Deskbook, 2012.
- Editorial Board, Oregon Health Law Manual, 2009 - 2011.
- Co-Author, “Punitive Damages Against Healthcare Providers in the Healthcare Reform Era,” Physician Organizations, American Health Lawyers Association, February 2010; AAOS Now, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, February 2010.
Seminars and Presentations:
- Presenter, “Behavioral Health in Oregon: Hot Topics in 2015,” Oregon State Bar Health Law Section, April 10, 2015.
- Co-Presenter, “Psychiatric Patients in the Hospital Emergency Department,” AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, February 2-4, 2015.
- Co-Presenter, "Update on Legal Challenges to Reform," Washington State of Reform Health Policy Conference, January 8, 2015.
- Co-Presenter, “Psychiatric Boarding: What to Expect When the Supreme Court’s Decision is Effective,” Washington State Hospital Association Webcast, December 16 and 17, 2014.
- Guest Lecturer, Willamette University College of Law, annually.
- Presenter, “Psychiatric Patients in the Acute Care Hospital: Legal and Risk Issues,” Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys Hospital & Health Law Seminar, Vancouver, B.C., November, 2014.
- Presenter, “Mental Health Update,” Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys Hospital & Health Law Seminar, Vancouver, B.C., November, 2013.
- Co-Presenter, “Summary Judgments,” Oregon State Bar Association CLE Seminar: Powerful Motion Practice, Portland, Oregon, November 10, 2011.
- Presenter, “Training for Arbitrators,” Multnomah County Bar Association CLE Seminar, October 26, 2005, November 9, 2005, May 24, 2006, June 12, 2006, October 30, 2007 and March 5, 2010.
- Presenter, “Ambush at the End of the Oregon Trail: Expert Practice in Oregon State Court,” 22nd Annual Medical Device Seminar, Bend, OR, June 15, 2009.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Health Care
- Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
- Product Liability & Mass Torts
- Professional Liability
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Ninth Circuit)
- U.S. District Court (Oregon, Idaho, Western Washington, Eastern Washington)
- University of Oregon School of Law (JD)., 1982, Order of the Coif
- University of California, Santa Barbara (BA), with highest honors, 1978
- University of California, Los Angeles, 1975 - 1977