Eric J. Neiman
888 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
Portland, OR 97204-2025
Eric Neiman is the Office Lead Member for Williams Kastner’s Portland office. He specializes in civil litigation with an emphasis on health care, professional, business, and product liability issues.
Mr. Neiman has been lead counsel in more than 80 jury trials and has been on the trial team in over 100 cases tried to verdict. His trial experience includes health care issues, business disputes, professional liability, employment, product liability, and technology issues. Mr. Neiman also has extensive experience in commercial arbitrations, regulatory and licensing matters, and investigations. Most recently, his practice has focused on healthcare litigation and health law including behavioral health, medical staff, provider issues, managed care, UCR, compliance and risk management.
Mr. Neiman serves as outside disciplinary counsel for the Oregon State Bar. Since 1991, he has served actively as a pro-tem circuit court judge.
- Williams Kastner, Member | 2004 - Present
- Duden Neiman LLP, Partner | 2002 - 2004
- Tooze, Duden, Creamer, Frank & Hutchison, Partner | 1986 - 2002
- Tooze Kerr, Associate | 1982 -1986
Honors & Awards:
- Named a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine | 2007 - 2014
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America in Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants | 2007 - 2013
- American Bar Association (and various sections and committees)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
Recent Articles and Publications:
- Author, chapter of “Invasion of Privacy,” Oregon State Bar Torts Deskbook, 2012.
- Editorial Board, Oregon Health Law Manual, 2009 - 2011.
- Co-Author, “Punitive Damages Against Healthcare Providers in the Healthcare Reform Era,” Physician Organizations, American Health Lawyers Association, February 2010; AAOS Now, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, February 2010.
- Contributing Author, "Warnings," Restatement Sections Specifically Applicable to Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Cases in State Court, A.B.A. Sec. of Litig., 2004.
Seminars and Presentations:
- Guest Lecturer, Willamette University College of Law, annually.
- Presenter, “Mental Health Update,” Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys Hospital & Health Law Seminar, Vancouver, B.C., November, 2013.
- Co-Presenter, “Summary Judgments,” Oregon State Bar Association CLE Seminar: Powerful Motion Practice, Portland, Oregon, November 10, 2011.
- Presenter, “Training for Arbitrators,” Multnomah County Bar Association CLE Seminar, October 26, 2005, November 9, 2005, May 24, 2006, June 12, 2006, October 30, 2007 and March 5, 2010.
- Presenter, "Survivor: Idaho and Oregon Strange Differences in Civil Trial Practice Across the Border," Idaho State Bar, Young Lawyers Section, January 24, 2008.
- Moderator and Speaker for the Oregon Women Lawyers Arbitrator Training Program, December 7, 2007.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Health Care
- Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
- Product Liability & Mass Torts
- Professional Liability
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Ninth Circuit)
- U.S. District Court (Oregon, Idaho, Western Washington, Eastern Washington)
- University of Oregon School of Law (JD)., 1982, Order of the Coif
- University of California, Santa Barbara (BA), with highest honors, 1978
- University of California, Los Angeles, 1975 - 1977