Suite 202 Sitka
329 Harbor Drive
Sitka, Alaska 99835
Markos Scheer is a member with Williams Kastner and is a member of the firm’s Business and Real Estate Transactions Practice Group. Mr. Scheer worked in the private sector in Alaska for 13 years before entering law school. In the 17 years practicing law, Mr. Scheer has represented businesses of all types from Alaska, Washington, Oregon and California. His practice encompasses a broad range of general business and civil litigation matters, including all types of business transactions, contracts, business formation and planning, insurance, premises liability, risk evaluation and mitigation and the purchase and sale of goods and real estate. Mr. Scheer values a responsive and open relationship with clients and emphasizes collaboration to fashion comprehensive legal planning and remedies for businesses large and small. All with the goal of providing cost effective legal solutions to the issues businesses face every day. Mr. Scheer shares time in the Washington and Alaska offices.
In addition to his general business practice, Mr. Scheer has been involved in the Bering Sea, North Pacific and Pacific seafood industry for nearly 30 years. Through his work, he became intimately familiar with the industry and the people within it. His Seafood Industry practice includes a broad range of commercial transactions, representing owners and operators of large fishing and fish processing vessels, shorebased seafood processing entities and seafood brokers and traders, both foreign and domestic. His extensive background in all facets of the seafood industry provides considerable expertise in negotiating and preparing sophisticated agreements peculiar to the seafood industry, including output sales and custom processing agreements. Mr. Scheer’s practice includes working with clients to navigate fisheries regulations, fisheries permitting, agency appeals and the representation of parties before the Pacific Fishery Management Council and the North Pacific Fishery Management Council.
- Williams Kastner, Member | 2017 – Present
- Williams Kastner, Of Counsel | 2015 – 2017
- Young deNormandie, Shareholder | 1999 – 2015
- Southeast Conference (Board of Directors, 2016 – Present)
- Northwest Fisheries Association (President, 2015 – Present; Vice-President, 2014; Secretary, 2013; Board of Directors, 2009 – 2012)
- Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation (Board of Directors, 2007 – Present)
- Author, “Beg, borrow and build,” National Fisherman, June 2017.
- Author, “Mariculture Poised to Come of Age in Alaska,” KCAW, April 2017.
- Author, “The next boom in Alaska,” National Fisherman: North Pacific Focus, Summer 2016.
- Author, “Fleet dreams, hired funds,” North Pacific Focus, Alaska Fisherman’s Journal and National Fisherman, March 2015.
- Author, “Crew contracts, as critical as your permit,” North Pacific Focus, Alaska Fisherman’s Journal and National Fisherman, October 2014.
- Author, “Financing fisheries and facilities,” North Pacific Focus, Alaska Fisherman’s Journal and National Fisherman, July 2014.
- Author, “Regulatory Red Tide: Ready or not, here it comes!” National Fisherman: Pilothouse Guide, July 2013.
Presenter, “Mariculture for Fishermen & Processors,” Petersburg Borough Assembly, May 2017.
Presenter, “Crew Contracts and Insurance Matters,” Northwest Fisheries Association Human Resources Presentation, March 2017.