Jan C Kirkwood
Phone: 206 628-2765
Fax: (206) 628-6611
Two Union Square
601 Union Street, Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98101
Jan Kirkwood is a member in the Seattle office. Her practice consists of litigation involving products liability defense, general negligence, premises liability, commercial litigation and health care regulatory litigation. Ms. Kirkwood is a member of Williams Kastner’s National Coordinating Counsel team handling toxic tort litigation involving asbestos, beryllium and other hazardous substances.
She has also been recognized by the Seattle Met magazine as a “Top Lawyer” in Health Care for 2010, a designation based upon Martindale-Hubbell’s ranking of those practitioners in King County who have been judged by their peers to be “AV Preeminent”—the highest peer-review rating available.
- Representation of manufacturers defending products liability lawsuits, including pharmaceuticals and medical devices, elevators and moving walks, engines and motors, cutting tools, building products and finishes, and a variety of other products.
- Litigation of complex products liability and tort cases.
- General insurance defense work including roll-over accidents, low-impact collisions, and complex accident cases involving joint and several liability and contribution issues.
- Representation of health care providers in matters impacting providers including recoupment efforts by third party payers including the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Department of Social and Health Services and private health care insurance companies, regulatory controls or practitioners and general business matters impacting health care providers.
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association (King County Mandatory Arbitration Panel)
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (Drug and Medical Device Committee)
Civic and Charitable Activities
- YWCA (Table Captain, YWCA Professional Women’s Benefit Luncheon for 10 years since 1995)
- Seattle Tennis Club (House and Grounds Committee, 2000-2003; Board of Trustees, 2003-2009, President, 2005-2007; House and Grounds Committee Chair, 2009-2012; Special Projects Committee — Pro Shop Building, 2012-2014)
- Northwest Alpha Chi Omega Corporation Board (Board, 2004-present; President, 2009-2015)
- Alpha Chi Omega, Rho Chapter Advisory Board, 2004-2009
- Laurelon Terrace Homeowners’ Association (Board of Directors, 1999-2002; Consultant to the Board, 2002-2009; Board of Directors, President, 2009-2015)
- President’s Club, St. Joseph School, 1991-2000
- Children’s Hospital Medical Center (Master Plan Committee, 2003-2006)
- United States Tennis Association (Member)
- Tort Reform and Non-Economic Damage Caps, American Bar Association, Products Liability Section.
- Editor, Civil Procedure Deskbook (Supplement), Washington State Bar Association, 1997.
- Contributor, Motor Vehicle Accident Litigation Deskbook (Supplement), Washington State Bar Association, 1998.
- Washington’s Registered Domestic Partnership Act: Impact on Health Care Providers, July 2007, September 2009.
- Seattle Health Information Mangers Association, “HIPAA for Real People,” March 2003.
- Tacoma Health Information Managers Association, “Words and Phrases for $20,” Health Care Compliance, November 2002.
- Seattle Health Information Managers Association, “HIPAA in a Nutshell,” Annual Meeting, April 2002.
- Building Owners and Managers Association, “Contract Formalities,” Property Manager’s Guide to Commercial Law.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Litigation Management
- General Litigation
- Health Care
- Long Term Health Care
- Product Liability & Mass Torts
- Senior Living & Long Term Care
- U.S. District Court (Western Washington, Eastern Washington, Oregon)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Ninth Circuit)
- Seattle University School of Law (JD) 1980
- University of Washington (BA) 1974, History