Jon R. Morrone
Fax: (206) 628-6611
Two Union Square
601 Union Street, Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98101
Jon Morrone is a member in the Seattle office of Williams Kastner. Jon has a dynamic practice, which includes advising public entities on Public Records Act issues and compliance. His primary area of focus is labor and employment law and business litigation. He is also experienced in the areas of personal injury, civil rights claims, Jones Act defense and insurance defense. The Washington Defense Trial Lawyers named Jon its “Defense Associate of the Year” for 2013.
Prior to joining Williams Kastner, Mr. Morrone worked as an assistant attorney general. At the Washington State Attorney General’s Office, Mr. Morrone defended our universities, community colleges, and state agencies in civil litigation. Although his chief focus was in defending employment decisions, Mr. Morrone also defended against alleged negligence in highway design, student-based allegations of discrimination, breach of contract claims, and various other negligence-based lawsuits.
- Williams Kastner, Member | 2016 – Present
- Williams Kastner, Senior Associate | 2013 – Present
- Washington State Attorney General’s Office, Assistant Attorney General | 2007 – 2013
- Sloan Bobrick & Kesling, Associate | 2006 – 2007
Representative Litigation Experience
- University of Washington v. GEICO Indemnity Company: The University of Washington entered into a contract with GEICO, the terms of which apportioned liability amongst their insureds. GEICO reneged on the deal several years later, and Mr. Morrone sued GEICO for breach of contract and violations of the Consumer Protection Act. A jury unanimously found for the University of Washington, awarding over $300,000.00 in damages. Mr. Morrone’s victory also ensures reimbursement of his attorney’s fees.
- Lennier v. University of Washington & Murphy: Plaintiff sued the University of Washington and Mr. Murphy after being involved in an automobile accident; one car was driven by Mr. Murphy, the other was driven by a University of Washington Police Officer. Mr. Morrone successfully negotiated a settlement upon extremely favorable terms for the client.
- Eastman v. Washington State Patrol: As co-counsel for the defense, the jury awarded $18,000 in damages in an admitted liability case where the plaintiff asked the jury to award more than $800,000.
- McManus v. State of Washington: Successfully moved to dismiss this highway design case and successfully defended the dismissal on appeal in Division One. When the plaintiff filed a petition for review with the Washington State Supreme Court, Mr. Morrone filed the answer. The Supreme Court denied the plaintiff’s petition, thereby rendering Mr. Morrone’s trial court and appellate court victories final.
- Mandujano v. Central Washington University: In this employment case, the plaintiff voluntarily dismissed his lawsuit after receiving a counter-claim prepared by Mr. Morrone. The plaintiff also agreed to never work for the state again in exchange for Central Washington University dismissing the counter-claim against him.
Honors & Awards
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Defense Associate of the Year 2013
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (Board of Trustees, 2014-Present; Programs Chair, 2014-Present; Practice Development Committee Chair, 2013)
- Belle Arts Homeowner’s Association (Former President)
- New Tacoma Neighborhood Council (Former Board Member)
- Washington State Attorney General’s Office (Former Law Clerk Supervisor)
- Washington State Attorney General’s Office (Former Basic Litigation Skills CLE Committee Member)
- Friends of Youth (Former Board of Directors)
- Presenter, “The National Labor Relations Board and You After the Smoke Clears,” Williams Kastner Labor & Employment Half-Day Seminar, Seattle, WA, October 15, 2014.
- Presenter, “Workers’ Comp: What’s New for Employers?” Williams Kastner Labor & Employment Half-Day Seminar, Seattle, WA, October 15, 2014.
- Presenter, “Prevailing Wage Law in Washington,” Seattle, WA, April 16, 2014.
- Presenter, “Independent Contractors: How to Minimize your Tax and Legal Liability,” Williams Kastner Labor & Employment Breakfast Seminar, Seattle, WA, March 26, 2014.
- Co-Presenter, “The National Labor Relations Board’s Expansive Agenda,” Williams Kastner Labor & Employment Half-Day Seminar, Seattle, WA, November 13, 2013.