Jessica L McConnell
Fax: (503) 222-7261
1515 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
Portland, OR 97201-5449
Jessica L. McConnell concentrates her practice in federal, state, and local tax controversies, including tax audits, offers in compromise, and tax collection matters. Since joining Greene & Markley in 2004, she has helped dozens of businesses and individuals efficiently resolve major tax and financial problems.
Well-versed in all areas of tax controversy, Ms. McConnell excels at complex audits, offers in compromise, employment tax liabilities, and protecting her clients against unwanted and unexpected collection efforts. She also handles a variety of bankruptcy cases, a majority of which involve tax dischargeability issues.
In the 2010 through 2012 and 2017 issues of Oregon Super Lawyers, Ms. McConnell was recognized as a Rising Star in the area of tax law. The annual Rising Stars list identifies the best attorneys who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for ten or fewer years. No more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in the state receive the honor.
Ms. McConnell holds leadership roles in the Oregon State Bar, where she plans and presents educational seminars, serves on legislative workgroups, and authors articles about developments in the law. She volunteers at the Oregon State Bar’s bankruptcy clinic, and provides free legal assistance through other pro bono cases.
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2010-2012, 2017
- Up & Coming Lawyer Honoree, The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2011
- Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section (Pro-bono Bankruptcy Clinic)
- Oregon State Bar Taxation Section (Laws Committee, New Tax Lawyers Committee founding member and former vice-chair, 2011 Broadbrush Taxation CLE Planning Committee)
- Oregon State Bar Business Law Section
- Oregon State Bar House of Delegates, 2010-2011
- Multnomah Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Oregon Women Lawyers
Presentations & Publications
- “Potential Personal Liability of Business Owners and Managers for the Business’s Unpaid Taxes and Wages,” Williams Kastner Labor & Employment Seminar, Seattle, WA, November 1, 2017.
- “Owe taxes you can’t pay? You have several options,” Marijuana Venture Magazine, June 2017.
- “Three Ways to Reduce Taxable Income,” Marijuana Venture Magazine, March 2017.
- “Addressing Taxes Throughout A Dissolution Case,” Oregon State Bar Domestic Relations CLE Seminar, October 2015.
- “Navigating Through Tax Collection,” Oregon State Bar Broadbrush Taxation CLE Seminar, October 2015.
- “Taxes for Real Estate Professionals: Avoiding a Tax Audit,” Lunch and Learn Seminar for CREW Portland, September 2015.
- “Tax Issues for Real Estate Agents,” Lunch and Learn Seminar for Keller Williams and Premier Property Group, April and May 2013.
- “Introduction to Bankruptcy,” Oregon State Bar New Lawyers Super Saturday CLE Seminar, October 2011 and October 2013.
- “An Overview of Bankruptcy and Tax,” Oregon State Bar Broadbrush Taxation CLE Seminar, 2011.
- “Case Note Summaries,” Oregon State Bar Debtor/Creditor Section Annual Meeting, 2010.
- “Tax Controversy Basics,” Oregon State Bar Taxation Section, New Tax Lawyer Seminar, 2010.
- “Bankruptcy Court Case Notes,” Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, Spring through Winter 2010 Issues.
- “Supreme Court Case Notes,” Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, Spring and Fall 2010 Issues.
- “State Court Case Notes,” Oregon State Bar Debtor-Credit Newsletter, Winter 2009 through Spring 2010 and Winter 2011 Issues.
- “Resolving Tax Liabilities in an Age of Aggressive Collecting,” Portland Business Journal, 2010.