David A. Foraker
Fax: (503) 222-7261
1515 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
Portland, OR 97201-5449
David A. Foraker handles our commercial clients’ complex bankruptcy and business reorganization matters as well as business transactional matters. His bankruptcy-related clients include debtors, secured creditors, key vendors, asset purchasers and bankruptcy trustees, and he is frequently employed by committees of creditors in Chapter 11 reorganization cases. His past engagements have included court appointments in the Chapter 11 cases concerning the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland (the Future Claimants Representative for unknown and minor child abuse victims) and the Oregon Rose Garden (the Examiner).
Mr. Foraker has been a featured lecturer at various seminars on topics relating to debtor/creditor relations and bankruptcy. Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section Annual Meetings, 1984, 1988, 2005, 2009 and 2015; Northwest Bankruptcy Institute Annual Meetings, 1992 and 2013; Oregon Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, 1987; Turnaround Management Association, Northwest Chapter Meetings, 2002 and 2011.
Memberships & Honors
- “Lawyer of the Year” in the Portland area for bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights / insolvency and reorganization law, The Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- Top 10 Lawyers, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2016
- Top 50 Lawyers, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Listed in Oregon Super Lawyers for bankruptcy & creditor/debtor rights, 2006-2016
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights / insolvency and reorganization law, 2014-2017
- Oregon State Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association, Northwest Chapter
- Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section Executive Committee (2004, 2015-2016)
- Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section Subcommittee on Local Bankruptcy Rules (2007)
- Northwest Bankruptcy Institute Planning Committee (2001-2003, 2015-2016)
- Editorial Board Member, Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, 1986-present
- Contributing Author, Bankruptcy Law Handbook, Continuing Legal Education, Oregon State Bar, 1989
- Author, “Marital Dissolution and the Consequences of Bankruptcy,” Oregon State Bar Family Law Newsletter, Vol. VI, Nos. 1 and 2, 1986
- Co-author, “Foreclosure of Real Property as a Fraudulent Conveyance Under Section 548 of the Bankruptcy Code: The Rebirth of Durrett in the Ninth Circuit,” Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, Vol. V, No. 1, 1985
- Panelist, “Business Amendments to the Bankruptcy Code under BAPCPA,” Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section CLE and Annual Meeting, 2005.
- Panelist, “Structuring Multiple Entities/Individuals in Bankruptcy,” Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section CLE and Annual Meeting, 2009.
- Panelist, “Reorganizing Companies with Mass Tort Liability,” Turnaround Management Association’s Twelfth Annual Cross-Border Conference, 2011.
- Panelist, “When Disaster Strikes in Chapter 11: Administrative Insolvency, Structured Dismissal, and Other Issues,” 26th Annual Northwest Bankruptcy Institute, 2013.
- Panelist, “Guarantor and Suretyship Issues in Bankruptcy: What Practitioners Really Need to Know,” Oregon State Bar Debtor Creditor Section CLE and Annual Meeting, 2015.