Abby Wool Landon
Fax: (503) 222-7261
1515 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
Portland, OR 97201-5449
Abby Wool Landon is a member who practices in Oregon and Washington. She is a tax, business and estate planning attorney with extensive national experience advising businesses and business owners in various capacities. Ms. Landon helps individual and corporate clients with tax, complex business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, corporate management, business succession and wealth management. As a small business owner, director and member of several family partnerships who has mature legal skills, Ms. Landon brings hands-on experience to her clients.
With a breadth and depth of experience, Ms. Landon is a strategic thinker who brings together skilled practitioners to offer her clients a virtual in-house legal counsel experience. Ms. Landon is experienced in tax, domicile and qualified plan analysis for her clients’ corporations and tax partnerships, multiple-generation trust and estate planning, charitable planning and marital trust planning for step-families. She assists her clients in navigating probate and trust administration, and with strategy associated with probate, wills and trusts contests when necessary.
Ms. Landon has extensive general business experience, is a skilled tax practitioner offering strategic direction and compliance for older mainline companies as well as start-up companies in need of entity formation counsel and related representation. She spent two years as corporate counsel for a start-up company, helping raise $4.5M while managing in-house shareholder relations, M&A transactions, debt and equity funding negotiations, contract negotiations, business succession planning and general corporate work.
Ms. Landon has been named to Super Lawyers by Super Lawyers magazine for 2012 – 2016, and has presented at CLE seminars throughout the Northwest, speaking on asset protection and estate planning for families in conflict. She has extensive courtroom experience, including testifying as an expert witness in a multinational dispute involving multiple states and two countries. A popular speaker, Ms. Landon is involved in community education and teaching to private groups to raise awareness of the importance of wills and trusts, corporate formalities, tax, gift and estate tax planning to maximize profit and avoid conflict. Within the community, Ms. Landon continues to serve as a board member for the green, sustainable business, Better World Club that she helped form.
- Transfers of business and investment interests in corporations and tax partnerships including $180M sale of assets, and multiple family gifts of business interests
- Multi-state Regulation D exempt securities transactions
- Wills, trusts and probate administration for multiple domiciles, including international, and planning for the noncitizen spouse, and same-sex couples
- Lead strategic attorney for litigation including wills and trust disputes involving multiple person partnerships, complex family and unrelated corporate business disputes involving shareholder derivative suits and partnership dissolutions
Williams Kastner, Member | 2011 – Present
Bullivant Houser Bailey PC, Shareholder | 2009 – 2011
Bullivant Houser Bailey PC, Of Counsel | 2007 – 2009
Samuels Yoelin Kantor LLP, Of Counsel | 2002 – 2006
Better World Club, General Counsel | 2000 – 2001
Abby Wool Landon, P.C. | 1992 – 2000
- Oregon State Bar Association (Family Law Section, Tax Section, Estate Planning Section)
- Washington State Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Portland
- Northwest Academy (Annual Fundraiser; Trustee, Board of Directors, 2009 – 2012)
- Oregon Community Foundation (Metro Council Member, 2008 – Present)
- Better World Club (Board of Directors, 2005 – Present)
- CCI Enterprises (Board of Directors, 2004 – 2007)
Articles and Publications
- Co-Author, “Your Lawyers at Williams Kastner are Thinking about Tax in Q1 2014,” Williams Kastner Tax Planning Alert, February 26, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Tax Planning in 2013 for Individuals and Small Business Owners,” Williams Kastner Tax Planning Alert, January 16, 2013.
- Co-Author, “2012 Year-End Tax Planning Considerations,” Williams Kastner Tax Planning Alert, November 29, 2012.
- Author, “Inside the Minds: Best Practices for Successful Probate Administration,” Strategies for Representing Clients in Probate Court, 2012 Aspatore Books (Thomson Reuters), July 2012.
- Co-Author, “Death and Taxes are Certain, Both Addressed in Latest Tax Bill,” Bullivant eAlert, December 2010.
- Co-Author, “Low Interest Rates Provide Taxpayers With Unique Opportunity To Avoid Estate And Gift Taxes,” Bullivant eAlert, May 2010.
- Co-Author, “The End of the Estate Tax?,” Bullivant eAlert, January 2010.
- Co-Author, “2010 Roth IRA Conversions,” Bullivant eAlert, November 2009.
- Co-Author, “New Supreme Court Decision: Plan Administrator Appropriately Paid Pension Benefits to Ex-Wife, the Designated Beneficiary, Despite Language in Divorce Decree,” Bullivant eAlert, February 2009.
- Author, “New IRS Whistleblower Rules Focus on Informant Rewards,” Bullivant eAlert, October 2008.
- Author, “New Changes in the Law Defining Who Qualifies as an Independent Contractor,” The Fine Print Newsletter, 2005.
- Author, “Your Estate Plan-Your Child’s Divorce,” The Fine Print Newsletter, 2004.
- Author, “Re-evaluating Risk, Why You Need an LLC and an Estate Plan,” The Fine Print Newsletter, 2003.
Seminars and Presentations
- Presenter, "From State to State: Community Property in Oregon," June 15, 2017.
- Co-Presenter, “An Estate of Mind: Planning and Defending Your Financial Legacy,” March 20, 2014.
- Co-Presenter, “Elder Financial Abuse Seminar,” June 19, 2013.
- Co-Presenter, “Protect Yourself, Family and Friends: Current Elder Law Issues in Oregon,” March 12, 2013.
- Presenter, “Understanding and Planning for the Combined Effective Federal and State Transfer Tax,” NAPFA 2012 West Conference, September 10, 2012.
- Co-Presenter, “Thrive: Living the Life, Leaving the Legacy,” April 26, 2012.
- Co-Presenter, “Thrive: Living the Life, Leaving the Legacy,” October 20, 2011.
- Presenter, “Tax Topics,” Oregon State Bar Family Law Section Annual Retreat, 2010.
- Presenter, “Estate Planning in 2010,” The Knowledge Congress, July 15, 2010.
- Presenter, “Hospitality, Spirituality and Personal Planning Forum,” University Club, 2009.
- Presenter, “Wealth Planning in a Changed World,” Credit Suisse Wealth Management Conference, 2009.
- Presenter, “Estate planning basics in a challenging economic climate,” Grace Memorial Foundation, 2009.
- Presenter, “Successful Succession Planning in Today’s Economy,” 2009.
- Presenter, “Wine, Women & Wills,” University Club, 2008.
- Co-Presenter, “Basic Estate Planning for Financial Advisors,” 2008.
- Presenter, “Building Strategic Partnerships,” Women in Financial Services (WIFS), 2008.
- Presenter, “Family Crisis: Estate Planning, Administration and Charitable Intent,” Oregon Community Foundation Philanthropy Forum Lunch, Portland, 2007; Eugene, 2008; Bend, 2008.
- Presenter, “Claims in Probate, Administering the Basic Estate CLE,” Oregon State Bar Association, 2007.
- Presenter, “Growing in Numbers,” Washington State Bar Association, 2007.
- Presenter, “Managing Claims in Probate,” Oregon State Bar Seminar, Administering the Basic Estate, 2007.
- Co-Presenter, “Cornerstones for Success: Business Succession Planning – How to Leave Your Business in Style,” Portland Business Alliance Seminar, 2007.
- Presenter, “Wine, Wills and Women – What You Should Know About Wealth Building,” Bullivant Houser Bailey Spring Women’s Event, 2007.
- Co-Presenter, “Wine, Wills and Wall Street, an Estate Planning Primer.”
- Co-Presenter, “What They Don’t Tell You at the Real Estate Seminars,” Portland Community College Education, Edward Jones, 2005.
- Author/Presenter, “How to Make Your Children Wealthy,” Continuing Professional Education for Certified Public Accountants.